Thursday, January 5, 2012

The big TA DA!

Justin has always wanted a wood burning stove and over the summer, he got one from a guy at work. He wanted to just take out the existing fireplace and put this one in its place. That sounds easy enough....right?! He was trying to take it out and it just wasn't working so this is what happened....


He got in a fight with the fireplace and lost! It didn't want to simply come out so his friend Joey B. came over with a torch and helped him out!
Notice the ugly hearth gone! My favorite part:)



Now he was ready to frame the base, then lay the backer board. This had to be solid and sturdy since the stove is super heavy!

The wall in this room wasn't sheetrock and since Justin, without thinking, tore into it we were faced with another problem....how to fix it? Oh well, just tear down the whole wall and start fresh! This wall had a barn feel to it and I never liked it so I was now more excited about the walls then the fireplace:)Notice the beams above Justins head....

Yes, those ugly things had to go too!

Base is framed and starting to put up the black granite tile, beams are gone, and since our walls were gone-why not go ahead and put in ceiling fixtures?! This room wasn't wired with any and our awesomely handy friend Blaine knew how to do it so he helped Justin out!


Next, tile the marble on the base!

Here is the light fixure going in!

Before I painted the ceiling....

After I painted.....

Just to learn that it would be better to just scrape the entire ceiling rather than repopcorning where the beams were.....I think I may have cried a bit during this process! My arms and shoulder blades were so stinkin sore after this!
Fireplace surround is ready for tile!

Walls are up!


Since this is the dining room it needs to flow with the kitchen so I have started painting the kitchen to match!

Walls in progress!

Walls finished and ready to paint!!



Painted!!




My accent color is red and this wall will have a built in of some sorts eventually so it won't always be a big red wall:) These chairs were green and white but needed a make over! So first I painted them red....

Then black with a little scuffing and voila!
Love these chairs!


Wood stove going in! Thanks to Blaine, Brett, and Brock for helping get it in!

Light fixure is up! This table was Justin's moms:) I need to get a table cloth and chair covers to match the room but it works for now!

Justin finished tiling the surround last weekend and it looks awesome! It will have a mantel and columns but thats a whole other project!

I found this saying at Target on clearance and have been trying to figure out where to put it. I knew I didn't like the walls in this room so I didn't want to permanantly put it there.....then I found pinterest! I found this idea and love it!



We still have a lot of projects to do it this room but I am thrilled with the results so far! It looks so great and I am so thankful that we had friends to help, especially Blaine! He helped out A LOT!! Justin learned a lot too:) So there you have it, my big tada!

2 comments:

Kristen Beaman said...

exciting! Looks good Joyce!

Erin Badger said...

Joyce that looks AWESOME!!!!! Yay that it's done (sans mantel/columns)! Can't wait to come see it all in person!!!!!