Sunday, November 22, 2009

Broken Arm, take 2!

Well, it was the first week of school and we were enjoying our nightly walk around the pond with the family. Gage had his bike, I had the two little ones in the wagon, and Justin had Meeko. After playing on the playground, we continued walking and I saw Ethan being a monkey and hangin from a bar and told him to keep walking, then I look up and see Gage on top of the bar on the right, and tell him to get down. Well, he hopped down and landed on his right arm, same one he broke before, and grabbed it and then gave me the look. If your a mom and you've gotten "the look" its terrifying! I knew he hurt himself but I thought he rebroke the same spot. When we both looked at his arm we saw his arm bent like a "U" and I started yelling for Justin. We paniced and called 911. We had no vehicle, the dog, and the kids. It didnt end up costing my $1000 like I was told so Im happy I called. They were able to help with the pain almost instantly. Once again GG was there to the rescue to take Ethan and Sadie so Justin and I could be with Gage. We were in the exact same room that we were in the previos month with Ethan. Heres a picture from my phone of his arm at the hospital. You can see where it bends inward. Almost like he put his wrist out and it just snapped his arm when it hit.
I have never paced before in my life but when I was watching Gage get x-rayed, and the pain that he was in with the different positions, it was terrible! Here's Gage getting upset talking about breaking his arm again,
He was put in a splint and then the following morning I took him to an orthopedic surgeon and he was put under so they could set his bones back in place. He ended up breaking the radius and ulna bone. Everything went well and he chose a red cast, (I can't find a picture of it at the moment but I know I have one somewhere)(FOUND ONE)
and then made a comment about next time it will be a blue cast. I told him there better not be a next time! At least it was his right because he is a lefty and it wasnt the same spot as before. He was casted for about 7 weeks and is now start to do some physical therapy with it. He has trouble twisting it. Doctor said everything is healing and he should be as good as new soon.

1 comment:

Britt Butler said...

Poor guy! I guess that's a little boy's right of passage(; I've never seen a broken bone before, so that was interesting!